Saturday, October 31, 2009

Shopping and end of day

We then proceeded to do some shopping in the Christian quarter, the Muslim quarter and the Jewish quarter. Interestingly enough one of the merchants in the Muslim quarter had an interesting tactic to selling. He basically didn't want you in his store but when you tried to leave he called you back, saying it was a joke. Unfortunately I saw a cute little purse I liked in this store so I asked the price. He started at $15. I countered with $3 he said $10 so I left with him calling after me, lowering the price down a dollar each time. When he got to $3, I was several stores away but I turned around to buy it. When I got back in the store he said, no that one was $5 this other one was $3. I asked him why he called me back with my broken toe when he wasn't going to sell it. He proceeded to yell at me that I should have just stayed home, why did I come out of my house? Of course I left. But later I came up with the perfect thing to ask him. Why does he sit in a
shop all day, just to be rude to the customer so he doesn't sell anything? It is a waste of time. He should sell his store to someone who is interested in selling items.

Needless to say it didn't feel like Jerusalem was quite ready to be a prime time tourist site as the people were more interested in expressing their displeasure with those visiting than making them feel welcome and selling them souvenirs.

At this point we were all beat so we exited the city via the Zion gate (I think) with an overview by the guide of it's history and defense along with having the bullet holes pointed out.

On our way to the bus two guys with postcard descended on me and I found my waist bag unzipped at the end. It did not appear anything had been taken. I thought it was a little weird that they should both try to work the same person to sell the cards but now I think it was a pick pocket attempt. Luckily I did not have wallet that they could take out of it. Of course it may have been that I had not zipped it back up when I put my camera into it because I was so tired.

No comments: