Sunday, October 25, 2009

Tough day in Corinth Greece

Today was our stop in Athens. I debated staying on the ship as I had been here several times before and I preferred to rest my broken toe. However it was feeling uncommonly good the night before our stop so I got brave and popped down to the shore excursion desk to book a tour, Ancient Corinth and Canal Cruise. Oh how I came to regret my decision.

The day started off with a lovely room service breakfast. It was cloudy out but not threatening storms as we pulled into port (pic. 1). As a result I brought an umbrella but not a jacket with my when I went to meet my tour.

Shortly after our bus took off toward Corinth the clouds came in and the rain poured down. I had thought that I would tolerate the bus ride fairly well with my broken toe. Unfortunately I quickly found out that the broken bones rattled with each and every bump in the road. Between all the pain messages firing in my brain from my back and my toe I couldn't really pay attention to the guide who spoke in a monotone voice that receded from my hearing in my haze of pain.

As we arrived for the Canal cruise it was raining in heavy sheets and the parking lot was flooded. We had to splash through puddles several inches deep to get to the boat. Once on board it was discovered that the roof leaked. There was barely enough seats for half the people under the covered area. Everyone else had to stand. Then there were whole areas where the water was pouring down inside and onto the floor and seats. Thankfully I scored a seat that wasn't being rained on but my feet were in about an inch and a half of water the entire cruise. Thankfully it was warm out and not chilly.

We cruised first one way through the canal and then turned around and cruised back. For the second half I popped out to the outer railing and caught some pics. (2 and 3).

After the cruise the bus drove us to the top of the bridge for some more pics in the rain (pic. 4). Unfortunately the drivers thought it was great fun to drive by and hit the big puddles and splash the tourist's taking the pictures. So we all got drenched again, this time with road water.

There was supposedly a narration on the boat regarding the canal but between the sound of the rain coming down and the poor quality audio I couldn't hear a word.

No comments: